In Firefox, you can use the keyboard to access your add-on buttons on the toolbar, as well as perform other toolbar functions that were not previously available via your keyboard.
To access your add-on buttons on the toolbar:
- Press the Control + Lcommand + L keys to move to the address bar.
- Use the Tab and Shift + Tab keys to move between various major groups of the toolbar buttons.
Note: Once you reach the desired group, you can use the right and left arrow keys to move through the buttons in that group. This allows you to quickly and efficiently find the button that you want.
- Press the Space or Enter key to activate the desired toolbar button once you reach it.
- Press the F6 key to quickly return to the web page from the toolbar.
Disabling this feature
If you have become accustomed to using Tab to move between the URL bar and Search bar, skipping over buttons in between, you can restore the earlier behavior through the Configuration Editor (advanced users only).
To restore the earlier Tab key behavior:
- Type about:config in the address bar and press EnterReturn.
A warning page may appear. Click to go to the about:config page.
- Search for browser.toolbars.keyboard_navigation.
- Double-click onClick the Toggle button next to the preference to switch its value to false.
- Close the about:config tab.