Firefox version 90 introduced a new background updates feature for Windows that checks for, downloads, and installs Firefox updates in the background, even when Firefox is not running. This way, you will have the latest available version of Firefox, every time you open the browser. This new Firefox updates feature was released gradually and is now included in Firefox version 94 and above.
Advanced users: You can make this feature available ahead of the Firefox 94 release schedule by following the steps below:
- Type about:config in the address bar and press EnterReturn.
A warning page may appear. Click to go to the about:config page.
- Search for app.update.background.scheduling.enabled.
- Toggle this preference to True to enable background updates or to False to disable them.
- Restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.
The background updates feature adds a Firefox Background Update entry to the Windows Task Scheduler that, when enabled, will check for Firefox updates every 7 hours when the browser is not in use. On Windows, there will now be fewer interruptions because, when background updates are enabled, Firefox won’t prompt you for updates. Instead, a background agent will download and install updates even if Firefox is closed.
To enable or disable this functionality, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Firefox menu button and click on .
- In the
- Select and underneath that setting, check or uncheck the box next to to enable or disable background updates.
Requirements to run:
The Background Updates feature has a few requirements to be able to run.
- Firefox must have been installed with the installer (not from, for example, a ZIP).
- The Mozilla Maintenance Service must be usable (installed and not disabled). When installing with the Firefox installer, this is the default.
- Firefox must have a default profile, and it must run using that profile at least once after the feature is enabled.
- Firefox must not have a language pack installed.
- Firefox connection settings must be configured to use the system proxy (this is the default).