When you start typing into the address bar, Firefox displays a drop-down list of suggested sites. This article describes how to clear single items or all items from the address bar history.
- To control what suggestions are shown when you type into the address bar, see Address bar autocomplete suggestions in Firefox and Search suggestions in Firefox.
Note: Clicking on the address bar displays a drop-down of Shortcuts (most visited sites) by default. See Customize your Shortcuts to learn more.
Table of Contents
Clear a single item from the address bar history
This works for both browsing history and search history entries.
- Type or paste enough text for Firefox to show the item in the drop-down.
- Press the ↓ down arrow key to highlight the item.
- Hold down the Shift key and press Delete on your keyboard.
Clear all items for a single site
- Click the menu button to open the menu panel. Click and then click the bar at the bottom to open the Library window.
- In the top right corner, type the name of the website you wish to forget in the Search History field, and press EnterReturn.
- Right-clickHold down the control key while you click
on the site you wish to forget in the resulting list and select .
- Close the Library window.
Clear all items in the address bar history
Note: If you see items with a star, those are bookmarks and not part of your browsing history. This is part of the Firefox address bar autocomplete feature. If you don't want bookmarks or other content to appear in address bar suggestions, see Changing your address bar settings.
- Click on the menu button and then click .
- Click to open the dialog window.
- In the Clear Recent History window, set Time range to clear: to Everything.
- To remove browsing history, make sure Browsing & Download History has a check mark next to it. To remove search history, check the box next to Form & Search History.
- Tip: Be sure to remove the check mark next to any other items that you do not want to be cleared. See Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox for more information.
- To clear all items in the address bar history, click .