This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Recovering my Bookmarks and other Firefox settings from an old hard drive.
I have lost access to my old laptop and have had to purchase a new laptop. I do have access to to my old laptop's hard drive. Is there anyway I can retrieve the bookmarks and other settings form the old system hard drive to use in the new Firefox installed on my new laptop?
All Replies (2)
Everything should be in your profile folder. Copy the folder As-Is to a thumb drive.
Then Copy the folder to the new system.
You can copy specific files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to recover personal data.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) or key3.db (57 and older) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
if you only have key3.db then make sure to remove an existing key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) or cert8.db (57 and older) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
if you only have cert8.db then make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
The profile folder is in a hidden location in "AppData\Roaming".
Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data (Root Directory on about:profiles).