This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Forgotten my password but still logged in to my account?
I've forgotten my password for my firefox account but im still currently logged into it and I want to move my firefox account to my new computer but don't know the password to login and sync it. I dont want to reset my password because I'll lose all of my saved passwords and bookmarks. Is there anything I can do?
All Replies (1)
If you really can't remember the password then you will have to reset the password. If you are still logged in on a device then that device should still have all data, so a password reset shouldn't matter as that only affects data stored on the Sync server. If you do not remember the password then you also won't be able to create a recovery key,
You can possibly backup your personal data of use a portable USB device to transfer your data.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)