This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
URL autocomplete shows mail.ru
I use Firefox for Android for long time. I use
- Firefox for Android Version 104.1.0 (Build #2015898515)
- Addons: uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, NoScript, Decentraleyes
- Autocomplete URLs (Settings - Search - Adress bar): active
- Firefox for Android linked with a Firefox account and my Firefox Windows installation
Since about two weeks I sometimes get mail.ru as an Autocomplete URL suggestion when I am starting to type 'm', which should show mydealz.de as my by far the most visited website with letter m (visits: 10 or more / day). Sometimes the Autocomplete Feature still suggests mydealz.de. For months and years, it always suggested mydealz.de as expected, I have never seen any suggestion for mail.ru . Now I am wondering why sometimes mail.ru is suggested, as I did not make any (intentional) changes to my setup. Do you have any tips on finding the source for that suggestion? I was wondering if any app/addon or similar is opening the website in the background, as I did not open it intentionally.
Things I already checked/actions I made to find the potential source or at least fix the issue
- Searched bookmarks (Android and Windows) for mail.ru - no bookmark set
- Searched search engines (Android and Windows) for entry for mail.ru - no entry set
- Searched history (Android and Windows) for visits of mail.ru - no entry
- Delete browsing data (Android): works short-term, first suggestion after deletion is is monero.org with letter m, mail.ru showed after a few times typing 'm' in the adress bar.
- Searched for newly installed apps on android phone - max. 1-2 new apps installed within the last weeks, would classify them as reliable.
- Searched for newly installed apps and total scan for viruses on Windows Laptop - no new Apps installed, no virus found by MS Windows integrated scanner.
Would be glad if anybody got any tips on this.
Glad to hear that this sounds like it is resolved.Read this answer in context 👍 1
All Replies (3)
If you open the Firefox for Android menu and select Settings and Search, you should be able turn off Search Suggestions.
Assuming your browsing history is still selected as a criteria, you should find search results from your history are more visible when you search in Firefox for Android.
Hi If you open the Firefox for Android menu and select Settings and Search, you should be able turn off Search Suggestions. Assuming your browsing history is still selected as a criteria, you should find search results from your history are more visible when you search in Firefox for Android.
thanks for your reply.
Search suggestions were turned on, though I was wondering if this could lead to URL autocomplete showing mail.ru, as it was not in my default search engines in FF for Android and mail.ru was removed from Firefox [at least in FF Desktop] in March 2022 - but maybe I am mixing sth. up.
Browsing history was also turned on as a criteria, but I never looked up mail.ru or searched with their search engine. So still, I could not explain the suggestion.
Nevertheless, I deleted browsing data once again in FF for Android (Settings -> Delete browsing data -> activate all check boxes), and the suggestions with letter m started with monero.org again, mail.ru did not show up until now. Hope, that it was just some kind of "normal" behaviour and the issue is solved by now.
Glad to hear that this sounds like it is resolved.