Locked out: TBird says user name Not Valid. BUT it is!
I've used TBird for years as my program for email. Monday, Oct. 24th, a window popped up, saying my "user name" was not valid. Another window said to "retry, change Pword" BUT I can go to the Centurylink.net web site for email, sign in, using my user name, and 'old' password and get in. It seems that the problem is with TBird or Centurylink. Century link is in progress of selling to Brighthouse. Note: on their email site, I've lost a lot of emails, but it seems to work. At least, I can receive and send emails thru their site! I've checked my TBird account for SMPT settings. (another window that pops up saying "check smtp settings") They are correct for firstname.lastname@example.org. the default setting reads:" Outgoing server-smpt.embarqmail.com(default). I just want someone to enable me to use my user name so I use TBird (with all my emails and info)......or tell me what to do.....or fix the problem.
I may have to eliminate TBird program and try to start over, with importing? IF so, how can I delete the TBird program? I'm using Win. 10. Settings? mjm
All Replies (5)
Is your User Name in TB the part of the address before the @ or the full email address? The latter is the correct format.
Email address: email@example.com Outgoing server- smpt.embarqmail.com (Default) Note: I was able to straiten out firstname.lastname@example.org.....just now, filling out their form. outlook was another email address listed under embarqmail's address with TBird. Even though I can access emails by going directly to their webmail, I still can't send or receive with TBird! Appreciate your help, though meant well, didn't solve problem. mjm
Also, it's smtp, not smpt.
Why not text this guy on Instagram MacDonald his one of the cyber tech support engineers he helped me with similar issue like this....... Very fast and reliable
Posted images from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1396623 Image from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1396625 which is apparently an addendum to the previous posting.
What I am not seeing are the setting in outgoing server (SMTP) for the default SMTP server which is apparently not accepting connections in one error and does not recognize the username (whatever is entered in outgoing server (SMTP) is unknown) in another.
My assumption at this point is you have not corrected the information in the outgoing server (SMTP) part of account settings for this account as you were advised in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1394724#answer-1543920 back in October having only referenced the incoming server settings in your more recent items.