Difficulties with "recently closed tabs" and some tabs in restore previous session
Summary: Having difficulties with "recently closed tabs" and some tabs in restore previous session.
Basic setup: Firefox 106.0.2 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Probably existed on Firefox 105.?.? though unsure of extent as in the middle of upgrading entire system. Private browsing has not been used at any point.
Problem 1: some tabs do not appear in "recently closed tabs". They do appear in normal history. Other tabs appear as hoped and restore normally.
Problem 2: some tabs do not restore when the session is restored. Again, these do appear in normal history. Other tabs appear as hoped and restore normally.
Problem 3: sometimes the tabs which had been restoring nicely stop doing so, and sometimes the tabs which were not restoring nicely do.
Problem 4: intermittent, tabs seem to appear in "recently closed" and seem to restore, but to old pages which had long since been navigated away from. Annoyingly, when these appear in the "recently closed tabs" they are listed with the hoped for title and favicon (for example, about three days ago I navigated to an article from ExampleForum.org, then used the back button to return to ExampleForum.org and continued to navigate around ExampleForum.org, but if I close the ExampleForum.org tab and try to restore, it reverts to the article tab despite appearing in the list of recently closed tabs as an ExampleForum.org tab).
Unable to figure out what is different about the tabs which do not restore as hoped compared to the tabs which do, and am having considerable trouble performing sufficiently methodical tests. I guess I have as many cognitive glitches as my current browser settings!
Things I have tried, in approximate order, several repeated having tried different things: repopulating tabs with the desired content then closing them, repopulating a new window with desired tabs then closing it, adjusting preferences in about:preferences and about:config, clearing the startup cache, solutions suggested here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1202514 and here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1197599, plus attempt to revert same, updating Firefox, rolling Firefox and the profile back to a previous version from a backup, resetting all containers, disabling multicontainer extension, opening tabs in new windows, consolidating windows, opening all tabs in one container, scrubbing older history, scrubbing all history, more combing over my settings, disabling syncing (this isn't set up with a separate device yet).
Things I have yet to try: disabling all containers, using a fresh profile, disabling all extensions.
Further details part 1: when the sessions are restored, new tabs appear in lieu of the pages I want. These are in the containers assigned to the desired pages and appear in the correct order from left to right. Sometimes the tabs have the titles of the desired pages and their favicons despite being like new tabs in other respects, but more often they just appear as normal new tabs.
Further details part 2: from my fiddling around trying to find a fix, the problems worsen sometimes, but othertimes improve. I have yet to figure out a pattern with this or clues for how to move forward.
Further details part 3: results obtained from Firefox History Scrounger at https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html somewhat map to the behaviours described above, but unsure what to do with this behaviour. Some tabs show up here as much older than those displayed at the time even though the time stamps on the files in the folder all seem correct. The back/forward history view suggests related sessionstore glitches.
Thoughts on possible cause: - corrupted sessionstorebackups-backups and/or xulstore.json, but unsure how to remedy these since suggestions did not work. - some kind of timestamp issue creating some fallback weirdness (unsure if this is possible) - being too addled to notice some obvious settings conflict
On the plus side, I don't tend to have more than 8 tabs open at a time with some constants, very rarely more than one window and never more than two windows, so restoring stuff manually isn't as much of a headache for me as it might be for most users.
Would really love some help with this as really lost and confused at this point. My apologies for the garbled account.
All Replies (1)
Current state of testing (clumsy). Using 7 or 8 tabs, most on different sites. Struggling a bit with formatting this comment so hopefully this edit will make things more legible.
- enable Tab Session Manager (TSM), save session, disable TSM: can restore most tabs via "recently closed tabs", "recently closed windows" & "restore previous session", some tabs will not restore by any of these methods, unclear what is different about these
- run Troubleshooting Mode to disable all extensions: can restore all tabs via "recently closed tabs", "restore previous session"
- set some extensions to be disabled on restart, enable CanvasBlocker, enable containers, disable multicontainers: can restore most tabs via "restore previous session" and "recently closed tabs", unclear what is different about tabs which won't restore, scrounging urls via https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html shows some issues in .jsonlz4 files
- put most pages inside containers, and restart: can restore most tabs via "restore previous session" and "recently closed tabs", unclear what is different about tabs which won't restore, scrounging urls shows blank/hanging recovery.jsonls.4 files
- enable multicontainer extension, and restart: breaks most things, most tabs are newtabs, can only restore from regular history, difficulty getting them into containers, think one tab did restore correctly, but unsure and unclear what is different about it
- disable multicontainer extension, and restart: still broken, most tabs are new tabs but some have favicon and title of desired tab; most tabs appear in desired containers; restore pages manually from regular history/bookmarks, scrounging urls some minutes later & after minor navigations shows new tabs in .jsonlz4 files instead of actual tabs.
- restart in Troubleshooting Mode to disable all extensions: most tabs reappear as new tab but in desired containers and with favicons of desired pages; one tab restores correctly, unclear what is different about that tab - not same tab as restored earlier; surprised to see containers on this restart, as previous use of Troubleshooting Mode disabled them
- disable CanvasBlocker, which resets containers & closes tabs, manually restore tabs in desired containers, still in Troubleshooting Mode.... tabs will not appear in "recently closed" whether they had been in a container or not, forgot to note results of scrounging urls from .jsonlz4 files
- remove all containers and restore tabs manually, still in Troubleshooting Mode.... a few minutes later recovery.jsonlz shows some tabs as desired others as blank new tabs, unclear what is different about these tabs
- clear startup cache from "more troubleshooting information which triggers a restart two tabs appear as "new tab"; one tab appears as page recently visited but with favicon for the desired page; one tab appears as desired; two tabs appear with favicon of desired page but "new tab" title and behave as new tabs; one tab appears as very recent history of desired tab; one tab missing
- restore tabs manually from bookmarks (& by navigation for one), still have all extensions disabled, still with containers disabled, thought still in Troubleshooting Mode but appearance of theme suggests otherwise, have not yet restarted scrounging urls from recovery.jsonlz4 a few minutes later shows window as it was at startup; cannot make tabs appear in "recently closed tabs"
- try Troubleshooting Mode again... window reopens as it did after clearing startup cache, that is: two tabs appear as "new tab"; one tab appears as page recently visited but with favicon of desired page; one tab restores as desired; two tabs appear with favicon of desired page but "new tab" title and behave as new tabs; one tab appears as very recent history of desired tab; one tab missing (despite having been restored manually and browsed within before last restart)
- restore desired pages manually using bookmarks, except for tab with v.recent history which is possible to restore by regular navigation. two pages do not appear in recently closed, restore these manually; one tab appears in recently closed with title & favicon of desired page but restores to page from recent history; one tab appears in recently closed as desired and restores as desired; two tabs do not appear in recently closed, restore these manually; one tab appears in recently closed with title & favicon of desired page but restores to v.recently visited; restore missing tab from history, still cannot get it to appear in recently closed, restore it again from bookmarks; scrounging urls from recovery.jsonlz4 shows page as it was at startup.
- enable all extensions, clear all history, clear startup cache restarts to correct pages in tabs due to Tab Session Manager (with exception of "about:support" etc)
- disable Tab Session Manager all tabs restore correctly from "recently closed tabs", scrounging urls from .jsonlz4 files looks good, previous.jsonlz4 is missing (due to clearing cache and history)
- close window and reopen, Tab Session Manger still disabled session restores as desired; scrounging urls shows good .jsonlz4 files
- restart Firefox, Tab Session Manager still disabled, all other extensions enabled, containers not in use session restores as desired; scrounging urls shows good .jsonlz4 files
Now planning to wait and browse casually with containers disabled and Tab Session Manager disabled as unsure if issue is caused by some conflict with containers/multicontainers/Canvas Blocker, or if there is some kind of accumulating error with .jsonlz4 files.
NOTES: Sometimes when the tabs seem to all be restoring as desired, if I try to open a closed page from history/bookmarks, the address bar says the page is already open in a tab and offers to go there, but it turns out to be a new tab.
Noticed that Firefox History Scrounger at https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html got stuck on processing when a window with about 7 tabs had been left open for ~40 minutes with little to no browsing. Suggests some sort of accumulating errors but no idea how to check or fix.
Though the timestamps for recovery.jsonlz4 often updates more or less as one would hope, other times it clearly gets stuck and does not update to reflect tabs being opened or closed and navigation occuring within them.
Some websites seem much more likely to restore as desired than others, and some much more likely to not restore as desired. Unsure of cause. Thought it was down to previous restore behaviour leaving traces through the .jsonlz4 files, but no longer confident that this is the main cause.
Some websites seem much more likely to work with containers as desired than others, and some much more likely to work with containers as desired. Unsure of cause, but maps closely to issue above.
Modified by stroaff14