This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Default dictionary will not permanently change.
It's quite simple. I have a Canadian English dictionary installed on Firefox, but whenever I set it to that dictionary, it will be back to en-US when Firefox restarts. This did not used to be a problem, it kicked in only a month or so ago. Before then, it was permanently on en-CA.
I've seen a few questions on this site talking about all preferences not saving, which is not the case, and some talking about some preferences not saving if you have a user preferences file, which I don't. It's really just the dictionary thing. Any information to keep this switched to Canadian would be appreciated.
That did indeed work, but before transferring things from my profile, I attempted to fix the problem by uninstalling the dictionary and then reinstalling it. This seems to have worked... only time will tell if it happens again. If it comes to that point, I will transfer over my profile. Thank you!Read this answer in context 👍 0
All Replies (7)
Do all the settings match if you check the value of the spellchecker.dictionary pref on the about:config page and the value as saved in prefs.js after you close Firefox and before opening Firefox the next time?
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Yes, they both say "en-CA." If I deliberately change the language back to US English, they will both say "en-US," and if I change it back, they will go back to saying "en-CA." Regardless of what the preferences say, Firefox will be using "English / United States" as its current dictionary.
So, the spellchecker.dictionary pref hasn't changed and is still en-CA, but the en-US dictionary is active after a restart?
That is strange.
I can't reproduce it on a en-US installation.
Which locale do you have installed?
The en-US locale that has its own dictionary or a en-GB locale that doesn't come with a dictionary?
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":
There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.
If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
That did indeed work, but before transferring things from my profile, I attempted to fix the problem by uninstalling the dictionary and then reinstalling it. This seems to have worked... only time will tell if it happens again. If it comes to that point, I will transfer over my profile. Thank you!